7/01/2016

Purple Passion Four-in-Art Challenge Reveal

It is time for the 3rd quarter reveal of the Four-in-Art Quilt Challenge.
This year's theme is COLOR. Each quarter a new sub-theme is given. 
This challenge was PURPLE PASSION

My passion is quilting. I thought about my quilting journey and chose to recreate some of the blocks I learned to make over the years. 
They were the building blocks that have brought me to what I quilt today.

So I stacked my journey (not all of it) from the bottom up, 
like a child's wooden block set. 
I attempted to make them 3D in an optical illusional way. 

I used various techniques to sew the block so they stacked
with 3 sides showing, in various sizes and include the black background. 
(Machine stitching, hand stitching, a bit of wash-away fusible seam tape.)
Above: the top before quilting

I realized halfway into the construction that if I had considered paper piecing 
the quilt blocks into the building blocks and background, 
it would have been easier. 
But that is how I have wound my way through this quilting journey over the years. 

This is the first time I have used the matchstick technique of quilting. 
I used my walking foot.
The purple stitching lines are more the width of a coffee stirring stick. 
I may add some matchstick quilting to the white and gray sides of the cubes. 

It wasn't planned, but the 17.5" wide quilt fits on my small garden flag post!

Visit the other members of the Four-in-Art Quilt group 
to see their interpretations of Purple Passion. 

We also have a blog, Four-in-Art Quilts, where you can find us all.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

It's so striking and the 3D effect is brilliant. The quilting has really brought out the sumptious quality of the purples too!