1/03/2017

Resolutions for Crafting

The topic of Val's Tuesday Archives today is New Year Resolutions. Her email prompted me to write this specific post. I have been thinking, as I am sure many of us do when the new year arrives, what can I do differently? My major stumbling block to what I want to do is my disorganized craft area. Taking a bit of time here, I have written my New Year’s Resolutions. I began today, tidying up after working on my niece's t-shirt quilt blocks. Now to form that habit! 

So, thank you for taking time to read my "goals" and I plan to fulfill them as the year goes on. 
  • Have fun creating. Sometimes I feel like I am pushing myself to create. That is when I know my muse is hiding, or it is time walk away for a bit. There are also other things that interfere in my creative enjoyment. And, that leads to the rest of my list of resolutions.
  • Be organized by using a planner. I have plenty of spiral notebooks to use (from the daughters’ days in high school and college). I know I need to keep track of when the BOMs are posted, so I don't miss a pattern. What do I want to accomplish for the month, week, day? When I was teaching I had a lesson plan for the entire week. It kept me on track. I need that in my creative life, too.  
  • It is OK to get rid of somethings. I have made so many projects using minimal materials. I now realize yards of fabrics are not needed to make quilts. Storing yards of fabrics takes up space that could be better used in a more pleasingly decorative manner. (Hubby is all for me minimizing my crafting footprint outside of my designated space!)
  • Tidy-up my craft area before quitting for the day. The next day my tidy work area should tell me I am ready to create.
  • Post blogs at least once a week. Of course, more posts are fine, but I feel bad when I go for a few weeks without blogging.
  • Share a monthly project giving step-by-steps and/or downloadable instructions for others to create with me. This is why I began blogging -- to share with others. And I appreciate others sharing with me. We all learn things. 
  • Revamp the list of blogs I follow. I have not been consistent in checking many of my favorite blogs simply because I have them bookmarked here or there. I don’t have a master list.
  • Post more of my projects to Instagram. From all I have read, Instagram is the newest and fastest way to share with others what is happening.  One of my goals is to let others know about my patterns and projects. I will get my Instagram link on my blog page.
Now, on to Val's Tuesday Archives to read what others have resolved to do in 2017. 
Happy New Year! 



4 comments:

Chris said...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "IT'S OKAY TO GET RID OF SOMETHING"?????
What a novel idea. I will give it more consideration when I revisit the 40-Bags-in-40-Days in March.

Susan said...

Sounds like you are making a great start to being more organized for 2017! I wonder why you don't use your blogger dashboard to keep track of you all the blogs you follow!? I know that way I don't miss anything from my favourites. And of course, many of them have the email option too. I do that with the Wordpress blogs.

Vivian said...

While I'd agree with Patchwork and Play, just be careful: Blogger updated at some point this year and somehow deleted both my lists of "Blogs I Follow" and "Favorite Podcasts" that I had on my sidebar. Since I also follow them in Bloglovin', it's more a loss to readers that might pick up a new blog from one I listed (something I enjoy doing while visiting other blogs) and will have to be rebuilt. For the rest, you have a handle on what you need to focus on so should make good progress on what you desire. Have a Good New Year!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Enjoy our year ahead Nancy!! Sounds like you have a organized plan that will lead to your success.