Happy November 1!
The Endeavourers Challenge projects for this quarter
are being revealed today.
You can see and read about each member's post HERE.
Our theme for this quarter was IMPROV.
I usually work with some type of structured pattern
that I have designed when making my art quilts.
"Improv" to me means a free experience, no rules, no boundaries. So in executing this quilt I did come up with a means of direction (because I am left-brained in that respect).
I wrote the names of five of my favorite quilt blocks on small pieces of paper. I looked at my 10 scraps drawers which are arranged by color. I wrote names of the 6 that were stuffed with the most fabric. I drew one block name and 2 color papers. This would give me some boundaries (sorry, Improv!).
I would not use any rulers to cut pieces. I would allow myself to trim with scissors or a rotary cutter (eyeballing it). I'd use the 2 colors to make the log cabin blocks. I started with wonky, white 4-sided shapes for the centers. I probably should have sewn whatever color I picked out of my color bags to the next side of the block - for a truly improv piece, but "lefty" was a bit controlling.
I put a border of orange pieces, which I think now should have been a mixture of both colors. BUT! I did do some improv quilting of the layers.
I used my free motion foot, starting in the middle. I began with straight lines like triangles that began to wobble and finally I just wiggled around as I moved toward the outer edges.
My wallhanging (or table topper) measures 18.5" x 17.5". That's somewhat wonky.
I found a batik for the bakcing. I haven't used in 10 years and it worked well to hide the orange-ish stitches from the thread.
I made an improv label by writing on the backing.
Visit the other Endeavourers' blogs to view their Improv pieces.