I went into town today to take some photos for a location quilt (something like a landscape). The farmers' market was getting set up. During the farmers' market the Friends of the Library open their used bookstore. One of my friends was volunteering today and beckoned me in. The shelf with the crafting books was a treasure trove today. For $16 I took these books home and can't wait to read through all of them.
I already altered one of the patterns in the scrap quilting book and made this 24" square quilt top. I used the corners from some other blocks I had sewn, added the center squares and corner squares and the alternating purple squares. The last of the fabric from the triangles, I used in the border. I am quite pleased with the result.
I have been working on more than a few quilted items during the past 2 weeks. The biggest project was completing a quilt request from a family member. Her mother had embroidered these 16" star blocks with the "chicken scratch" technique and wanted to have them made into a quilt for her mother's 91st birthday.
To stabilize the blocks, I ironed woven fusible interfacing on the back of each one. It will also secure the stitches from the back.
Her mother wanted a quilt that would hang over the sides of the bed and have a pillow tuck in it. I had to find fabrics that would work with the blue in the gingham. She did have the tiny blue floral fabric that I used on the front.
The backing fabric is a blue floral with a strip of the blue sashing fabric down the middle. I put a label on the back and it has been delivered. I do hope her mother is pleased to see her blocks finally made into a quilt.
I will show more of my projects from the past two weeks in my next post.