8/20/2015

Back in the Loop

Yes, I have been out of the loop for days now. I am back and trying to focus on quilting.



Last week I spent 4 days at AQS Quilt Week in Grand Rapids. This was my 4th year to go. I am glad I live only 40 minutes away. I am able to stay with relatives, so it makes the drive less (and not as early getting up). 



I had a lovely time visiting the quilt exhibits and vendors on the first day. Here are a few of my favorite quilts. These were part of the AQS Ultimate Guild Challenge by Happy Heart Quilters of Louisville, KY. The guild challenged its members to design a flower seed packet of the quilter's choice. They titled it Flower Seed Packets











The other days I took classes. 

In Reeze Hanson's class called Curved One-Patch Machine Piecing without Pins I finally learned a method to machine sew curves - and I really did not have to use pins! I discovered that using the AccuCut for all those apple core and clamshell pieces is the way to go. I tried with the acrylic templates and rotary cutter and it was a chore and not accurate. Now to save some money for the system.

These are the apple core pieces I cut out with the acrylic templates and decided to hand sew them because they are not all exactly true to size. The fabric slipped as I cut each side. I know with hand stitching I can tweak them to make them work. I have 35 pairs sewn and 17 more pairs to go--unless I decide to cut more! 



I have been getting Reeze's email newletter for years now. She designs the most wonderful BOM each year. I have not yet made any of them, but have collected the patterns and will be starting one this winter. I wanted to meet Reeze and introduce myself because she is one of the designers involved in the EQ Seasons Row-Along with me and 18 other designers. She is a very nice and lively person.  

She had a lecture titled Inspiration is in the Air.  And what can I say but, "It was inspiring." It got me excited to devote more time to my EQ7 program (I added the EQ Stitch component 2 years ago). I will be looking everywhere for inspiration now!

I took one of her other classes, EQ7 Drawing: Appliqué Blocks and Motifs. I learned techniques and many little tricks to getting the best applique and motif blocks drawn. I actually worked on one the other night where I created the motif in EQ Stitch and was very happy with the result. Now to try it on my embroidery machine. Here is the pic of it:



I have to post a photo of the 5" x 7" mini landscape I made in Lenore Crawford's class on the last day. She calls her technique Mini Blended Fabric Collages. It is a mosic technique. The fabric is cut and repositioned just over the piece next to it. Everyone in the class had a blast...and we all went away with a project we were proud of. Now to mount it.


Do check out the information about the EQ7 Seasons Row Along by clicking the button below.



Find out about all the wonderful rows that are being created for you to download...Free! 
And the giveaways, too. 
There is a Facebook group you can join HERE. Put in a request to join. 






No comments: