7/06/2016

Quilting: My Mood Returned

After a month when I just couldn't get into the sewing mood, I am doing a good job of accomplishing projects on my list. 

I finished up a few "Americana" potholders for the 4th of July. I forgot to get a photo, but not to worry, I am making a few more because I liked them and want a few for myself. Binding is all that's left. 

I went right to work on my Mid-Century Modern Bee blocks. Years ago I made so many log cabin blocks. I forgot how much I liked making them. I made 4 blocks, not knowing which I would want to mail out. I finally decided to mail them all! 

I have loads of scrap fabrics and I think these blocks will be a great way to use up scraps. I have ideas spinning in my head on how to make them. 


However, the next project I have begun to work on is the Island Batik Christmas in July project. The fabrics I have pictured below are from the Holiday Happenings Collection. I'm not sure I will use the print on the top right, just doesn't seem to be too Christmas-y for me. 

I am planning on making a Dresden piece using one of my wedge rulers. The Patchwork Pearl posted the link to an article about Wedge Quilts, from Modern Quilts Unlimited, which was very good. You can read it HERE. I am going to look for the "Wedge It" tool that is talked about in the article. I can see so many possibilities for future quilts when using it.

We Island Batik Ambassadors don't have to design our Christmas in July projects using Electric Quilt, but there are some links in the Modern Quilts Unlimited blog under WEB EXTRAS that show how to design some projects in EQ. If you are interested in learning more about the possibilities of EQ, take a look at some of them.

In celebration of Electric Quilt's 25th Anniversary this year, Island Batik is hosting a double giveaway with the folks at EQ! Both posts (one on the Island Batik Blog and one on Behind the Mouse, the EQ blog) will be posted on July 10 and the giveaways will be open for entries until the 25th. Island Batik will be giving away an EQ software package and EQ will be giving away a fabric bundle. 

I have scheduled a day at Insprirations of Art Studio to used the Sweet 16 (this photo from HandiQuilter.com). I have 3 quilts our charity group needs quilted. It always feels great to have projects completed. 

Off to sew; are you sewing something for Christmas this summer?


  



3 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Well you are making up for lost time. July will be my quiet sewing month...but I have a good excuse...lots of family visits and adventures ahead. :) (I have my hand sewing packed) I haven't made a log cabin for awhile and like how yours turned out. :)

Needled Mom said...

Your log blocks look wonderful.

Nancy said...

Thank you, I can't wait to make some of my own. But I will have to wait.