11/01/2019

Quilted Dreams Pillow

Another art quilt challenge is here! 
Gosh, the reaveal date for this quarter's challenge arrived quickly. 
Visit The Endeavourers members who are revealing the projects 
they've made for the "DREAMS" challenge. 

On August 1, when I read the announced theme of DREAMS for the challenge, 
my first idea was a dream catcher design to hang on the wall. 
The dream catcher is explained HERE. My simple explanation is: it is a Native American cultural object woven and used as a protective charm for infants.

I pictured feathers hanging from the bottom, so 
I started making feathers from old denim jeans
after seeing some on Pinterest. 
A search on YouTube found many tutorials.

and I wanted to use one of my vintage doilies in the center. 

I like the Dresden Plate block, so I thought I could work that into my dream catcher. 
I made a Dresden block from some colorful batiks. 
I began hand sewing a colorful doilie to my block, 
but decided the block was lost behind the doilie, or perhaps, the doilie was lost. 

Back to the drawing board (EQ8)!
I chose the Georgetown Circle block. 

I paper pieced the fabrics in each ring on the sewing machine. 

Above, sew one triangle to another, trim, sew, press, add, repeat!

The last two sections, I cut on the seam line of the paper, 
trimmed for the 1/4" seams on the last two triangles.

Pinned the corners of the triangles so they all matched and sewed the seams. 
Pressed and trimmed beyond the paper pattern a 1/4" seam.

I arranged the rings, stitched the 1/4" seams to connect each ring to the next. 


I added a fussy cut of the night moon by topstitching over the center hole.

 I quilted the top to a backing for the front of the pillow. 

I added some lace around the edge before I sewed the front to the back. 

I realized after I did this, that it made the pillow construction more tedious. 
I finished the pillow and am quite pleased with the outcome. 


Visit the other member of The Endeavourers HERE.
 to see how they interpreted the theme of DREAMS. 

I'm off to take a nap with my pillow and perhaps dream of new quilt projects. 

I wish you a creative quilting day. 
















6 comments:

OPQuilt said...

This is a perfect interpretation on many levels for the theme Dreams. I love that it's a pillow--perfect for the act of sleep and dreaming, and love the idea of the center with its night moon, which represents the time when most of us are sleeping. I love that circle, having done something similar in my Shine: The Circles Quilt--all of this works so well together. Bravo, Nancy!

Celtic Thistle said...

Great minds think alike Nancy! I planned a dreamcatcher for the challenge too, but I wasn't as tenacious as you :) I love the fussy cut moon in the centre of your pillow it is the ideal place to rest your head while you dream of future projects!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I went back and re-read this post twice. Pretty cool how you developed your pillow front. I have a purse saved on one of my Pinterest pages that uses feathers like your denim feathers. Thanks for reminding me of them. Your pillow sure goes with the Dream theme.
xx, Carol

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Nancy, I so appreciate your explanation of your process. To me, the pillow is even more dreamy after reading your post. It always amazes me of the thought and work that lies behind seemingly small or simple things. Yeah you! Sweet dreams!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your block and I like that you made it into a sleep pillow for the dream theme. I also enjoyed seeing how your dream catcher plan evolved into this beautiful pillow :)

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Nancy,
Janine told me you are bowing out of the group in favor of adventures with your dear husband.
I wish you a fond farewell and bon voyages! And thank you for your kind words about my quits over the past year.
Here's to the future!
Smiles, maureen