3/18/2014

Tuesday Archives at Val's Quilting Studio

I am a bit late linking up to Val's Tuesday Archives, but I was working today and had evening meetings. But better late than not at all. 

The two themes Val has chosen this week are Animal Quilts and Award Winning Quilts. 

I will begin with the last catagory. The Flowers on Green quilt, below, was made for our President's Challenge at the Tall Pine Quilters Guild a few years ago. We had to use scraps of mostly green fabrics. There were measurement requirements. My quilt is a wall hanging measuring 18" x 31". I made yo-yo flowers and used leaves from some artificial flowers. I had fun piecing the quilt background influenced by a technique in a book by Weeks Ringler and Bill Kerr.



I never expected to be the First Place Award Winner, but I was. It was an honor that has been bestowed on me one time. But I will persevere and maybe in some future year I will have another award for a quilt. 


Now the other catagory is Animal Quilts.
My husband's pool table cover made with a
wildlife panel in the center. I designed in EQ7.
You can find the EQ link HERE.

I made a 3-D turkey with fan blades cut with the
AccuQuilt, a yo-yo body and a stuffed neck and head
made from a carrot shaped piece. It is a small
wall hanging. 

I designed this footprint baby quilt to use the bear
fabric as the outer border. I have the pattern for sale
on Patternspot.com

The final quilt for today is my 30s Reproduction
fabrics with a center panel of kittens in a basket.
This was for a guild challenge using 30s prints.
While I thought it was great, there were others
even more spectacular.

Thank you for stopping. I hope you are a quilter who chooses to enter one or more of your quilts in a contest. I found that the first one was the toughest for me to enter, but it got easier after that. And while I don't win awards, I feel my reward is knowing that I tried. 



3 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Work gets in the way of my quilting too! LOL!! I really love the Flowers on Green...it is a true Award winner.(I think it's the simplicity that makes it so stunning) And what an ingenious idea for a pool table cover! Serious! I have a fondness for 30's..so absolutely love that final quilt. Thanks for linking up and sharing!!! :)V

AccuQuilt said...

Love the Turkey you made with your AccuQuilt! Did you use the GO! Dresden die?

Nancy said...

I used the Dresden die for the AccuCut Machine at the LQS where I teach classes. I don't have an AccuCut system at home. :(